Go Back   Bike Community > Road Bike Forums > Bike Commuting

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-27-2004, 04:47 PM

Exclamation Safety Issue

Hello. I am new to this forum and new to cycling!
So, to the question...I am commuting 6 miles to work now. I work odd hours, so some of my commutes are shortly before or after midnight. I have the option of a very, very dark, isolated, but well-kept bike path or city streets which are well-lit but potentially full of drunk drivers or what have you. I am female and 22 years old. What do you guys think? Have you ever come across drunken weirdos? Or is it mostly just drunken, inattentive driver
Old 03-02-2004, 09:06 AM

Better safe than sorry

Riding at night will always be safer under lights. Definitely avoid bike paths at late night. Also get some reflective tape for your ankles and wrists. This will allow drivers to see you from the side as well as from behind.
Cheers
Roxy
Old 12-15-2004, 10:34 AM

Ive been commuting for a few years now 365 days a year. I prefer to ride the bike paths to work and the road home. I work the night shift like you do, usually coming home between midnight and six am. My commute is 40 miles round trip. I run three taillights on my bike and super bright headlight. If your worried about the cars then get yourself a reflective vest too. As far as coming across people while Im riding, I dont, except for the occational hitch hiker.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:51 PM

Hi Jen
as you have said that you work in odd hours then it will be better for you to choose the bike paths, also you must put some reflective sticker or tapes on the backside of your bike.You can also put on reflective jackets or something that glows under light reflections. As far as drunken people are concerned its a time waste to get in with them, so leave them and travel safely.

Jimmy
Old 06-23-2012, 06:18 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Foxy40
Safety

4.9 would be pretty slow for a varsity safety. Youd need anywher between a 4.7-4.5 and you need to gain some weight. How good are you at football though?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: